Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Great To-Do List - REVISED and Soon to be Updated!

In the name of lists and challenges, I thought it would be fun to revisit my very first "To-Do" List - and make a few notes and adjustments. The original list (Black type) is what I posted on MySpace (whoa!) on May 5, 2006. Green highlights are things I have completed since then. Red are things that, after careful thought and consideration by an older and more experienced mind, am choosing to cancel from the list from here on out. Last but not least, Blue is just extra notes, and things that may be "half-way done" or done with any sort of special consideration or adjustment :)


Current mood:ecstatic

Things to Do Before I Die...a few more


So, the amazing Miss Abbie did this and it inspired me to think about my own to-do list. First, it's a work in progress and, rightfully so, always will be. It's all things, in no particular order, big and small that may bring happiness, realization, truth, faith, insight, outsight, or might just need to be done.


1. Find my bliss, so that I can follow it!

2. Eat fondue that is not cheese or chocolate - Beef, at Cafe Diva in Steamboat

3. Go to Fairyland

4. Learn to roll sushi - For Bryan's birthday in 2010 (repeated successfully for Karen's in 2011 as well!)

5. Learn an instrument

6. Go to Alaska

7. Climb a big wall that requires spending the night on the wall(if Jack Osbourne can do it so 
can I) - In all honesty, as much as I hate to admit it, I am NEVER going to do this....

8. Adopt a dog - I don't actually have my own, but I have helped several friends with the selection of their furry friends, as well as adopting my kitty cat, Harlo (aka Muffin!)

9. Finish college

10. Decide what to go to college for(since I'm in college you'd have thought I did this  - already....) - Hospitality Management....thought it did not assist in completion of #9.

11. Backpack in Europe

12. Learn how to fix my own car - I can't say it was with flying colors, but in the past year I have: replaced sway bar links, struts, strut mounts, changed oil and assisted in a full tire removal/change/mount/balance!

13. Knit socks - this has been attempted on several levels, thought completion still eludes me

14. Own a home

15. Read as many books as possible by the following authors: Tom Robbins, Paulo Coehlo, Hunter S Thompson, Edward Abbey, Ernest Hemingway, and many more

16. Take a summer long climbing/music trip all over the U.S.

17. Climb in another country

18. Give up television

19. Make the perfect margarita - I hate toot my own horn, but I am calling this one good because I am told how great they are every time I make them!

20. Speak a second language

21. Go to the Iowa state fair

22. Get married and have a family(no "settling down" though)

23. See a ghost

24. Put some pretty colored tape on all my climbing gear so Galo stops asking "is this mine or yours?" - Seeing as I don't have much climbing gear anymore, nor do I ever see/climb with Galo since we live 900 miles apart, this one might be a moot point.

25. Spend a summer in the southern hemisphere(so it snows in July!)

26. Do karaoke...sober. - "Don't Stop Believin', at Jade Summit In Steamboat
 

27. Find my birth mother(maybe....) - Found, but not contacted

28. Hitchhike, and Yellowstone doesn't count.

29. Stand on top of Grand Teton

30. Learn to telemark ski

31. Name a waterfall

32. Start a journal and actually keep writing in it for more than a few days

33. Crochet a hat - I didn't say anything about it actually fitting properly.....And I did make Jayne a balaclava that actually fit quite well.

34. Drive a UHaul - I was reminded last year that I had actually driven a UHaul when I was 19, so this was actually completed several years before this list was made....

35. Figure out what is so fun about disc golf


36. Soak in Mr Bubbles

37. Winter camp - Grand Canyon, November 2010

38. Run a marathon

39. Make my own clothes


40. Ice skate in Central Park


41. Join a polar bear club

42. Go to a Buddhist retreat - I didn't actually get to attend a "retreat" but I did get to visit and spend a day at the Rocky Mountain Shambala Center in Red Feather Lakes, CO

43. Protest something - SAVE OUTDOOR SCHOOL!! Many, many letters were sent to the Portland Public School Board.

44. Publish an article in a newspaper - I can't decide if my High School paper counts...if so then this one is just like the UHaul....

45. Read some poetry(other than good song lyrics!)

46. See as many live shows as I possibly can, even when I'm a senior citizen

47. Teach my niece and  nephew something they will never forget
 
48. Be a bridesmaid - Ali & Nate's Wedding, June 2008

49. Learn to skateboard

50. Plant a flower garden and keep it alive

51. Become a good cook(good is a relative term) - By NO means complete, but definitely in progress

52. Celebrate the 4th of July on the wrong day

53. Deep fry a TurDuckIn

54. Touch a snake

55. Climb in Yosemite

56. Be the first one at a party/bar to start dancing

57. Beat Dirk at Tri Towers - Sadly this one involves 1) Living somewhere that I can even find TriTowers and 2) Living in the same place as Dirk so I can play him. Neither is true, so 
another moot point.

58. Balance my checkbook - This is by no means done on a regular basis, but has been done to entirety at least once

59. Get a massage on a Caribbean beach

60. Wear my 1970s Broncos tee shirt to a Bronco game

61. Go to Africa

62. Go to as many different types of churches as possible, to learn firsthand what they're all about

63. Take my mom camping

64. Fly in a sea plane

65. Wear a coconut bra

66. Win a medal in the Rainer Olympics

67. Sail

68. Read neighbor Lori's books about past lives - Neighbor Lori is now 900 miles away too, so.....

69. Run the Race for the Cure, in memory of Adam's mom.

70. Live in the same city as Jayne for at least a season - We actually got 3! Winter 2006-07, Summer 2007 and Winter 2007-08 in Steamboat

71. Lead climb

72. Go on jungle expedition in Latin America

73. Stop biting my nails - Vast improvements, but no complete success as yet.

74. See the sunrise from the top of a fourteener

75. Go to lots more Panic shows, among others, because I'm finally understanding how it can be so amazing and addicting to so many of the people I love. I'm hooked.


To be continued......
 


 A few additions - May 12, 2006

76. Wear fancy going clubbing clothes to the local bar in Steamboat or Boulder with Abbie - This has been done on my own many times in Steamboat and Gardiner, MT - unfortunately though, never with Abbie Lane :(

77. Go surfing

78. Have a pen pal - 2 actually, both from my online book groups!



79. Take a NOLS class

80. Ski in south America

81. Ride the subway all over NYC for a day exploring without looking at the subway map

May 15, 2006
82. Read the holy books of the great religions

83. Learn about meteorology

84. Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity - the only drawback here was that while I did volunteer, I never got to do any actual work because they always worked on days I was at my actual job.

No comments:

Post a Comment